Saturday, October 11, 2014

Frozen Way

12"x12" colored pencil on black scrapbook cardstock.

This was drawn from a 10-minute sketch I did last weekend of "Way," a character developed by an ingenuous and beautiful mask artist in Sedona who modeled short poses for us at Eliphante.

Located in Cornville, about an hour and a half north of Phoenix near Cottonwood, Eliphante (www.eliphante.org) is an inspiring place to draw. The new owners are in the process of restoring the 40-year-old property, which is scattered with delightful structures crafted out of found materials and a lot of imagination. Right now you can only visit by special permission, but I hope they will soon have this amazing place open to the public some day.

The character "Way" is meant to represent the actualizing tendency, as defined by Carl Rogers, of going towards the light no matter how dark your circumstances.

My sister commented that this portrait reminded her of the Disney movie, "Frozen," and I have to agree! So she is now the "Frozen Way."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.