Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Figurative Sketches From Life: Craig

Trying to think of how to organize myself on this new art blog... I have hundreds, maybe thousands, of figurative sketches dating back to 2009, when I first started attending an informal figure sketch group. This small group of artists meets weekly, and although I sometimes let entire months (er... a year here and there) go by without attending, they are always welcoming whenever I drop in. We start off with a few 2-minute and 5-minute gestures to warm up, then settle in for 5-6 20-minute poses by a different model each week.

Although it was at first really intimidating for me to get myself to go, figure sketching from life has done more to improve my drawing skills than anything I can think of. I recommend it to anyone who seriously wants to draw well, regardless of subject. I think I'll start by posting some of my favorite sketches of our model Craig, who is a terrific model with one of the best faces to draw. I usually do a portrait of him every time he poses for us.

20 min sketches from 2013...

20 min sketches from 2011...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.